Y-wings are fictional Rebel Alliance and New Republic starfighters in the Star Wars universe. They appear in Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, and Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi, as well as the Clone Wars TV series and the Expanded Universe's books, comics, and games.
Origin and design
Industrial Light & Magic's Colin Cantwell, who also designed the saga's TIE fighters, initially designed the Y-wing with a large bubble turret for a gunner. However, the dome did not appear properly when filmed against bluescreen, and subsequent designs excised the turret.
Y-wings are described as durable but slow tactical strike spacecraft. The destruction of Y-wings tasked with destroying the Death Star at the Battle of Yavin in A New Hope leads to Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) firing the proton torpedoes that destroy the Empire's battle station. Only one Y-wing survives the battle.
Y-wings also participate at the Battle of Endor in Return of the Jedi. The Expanded Universe describes several Y-wing varieties, such as a one-seater version, a two-seater (one pilot, one gunner) variety, and the "Longprobe" reconnaissance ship.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Y-wing starfighter (Behind the Scenes)". Star Wars Databank. Lucasfilm. http://www.starwars.com/databank/starship/ywingstarfighter/?id=bts. Retrieved 2007-08-29.
- ↑ "Y-wing starfighter (Expanded Universe)". Star Wars Databank. Lucasfilm. http://www.starwars.com/databank/starship/ywingstarfighter/?id=eu. Retrieved 2007-08-29.
- ↑ Murphy, Paul; Peter Schweighofer (04 1994). Rebel Alliance Sourcebook. West End Games. ISBN 0874312094.
- Y-wing starfighter in the Star Wars Databank
- BTL Y-wing starfighter on Wookieepedia: a Star Wars Wiki