|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2008)|
The following is a list of characters from the Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's anime series. Where appropriate, names from the original Japanese media are on the right while the English names are on the left. Character descriptions pertain to the original Japanese version of the series.
- Yusei Fudo (不動 遊星 Fudō Yūsei ) Voiced by: Yuya Miyashita (Japanese), Greg Abbey (English)
- Yusei is the main protagonist of the series, a young man who grew up in the Satellite. When he travels to New Domino City in order to retrieve his Stardust Dragon from Jack Atlas, he soon discovers that he is a Signer, a person chosen to bear the mark of the Crimson Dragon. While he initially bears the mark of the Crimson Dragon's tail, it is replaced with the Dragon Head following his battle with Goodwin. Yusei is a cool, attractive, calm and collected duelist who believes no card is useless. In addition, the cards present in the world and every human has value and that do not harbor any belief that such unnecessary. Hot mind that attract people, gathered around a fellow he is always connected by bonds. Yusei uses a Junk Deck which focuses on managing small monsters of various levels in order to summon out powerful Synchro Monsters, such as Junk Warrior. His key card is Stardust Dragon and he later obtains two further evolutions: the powerful Majestic Star Dragon and the Accel Synchro monster, Shooting Star Dragon. At the end of the series, he is able to perform a Limit Over Accel Synchro to summon his strongest monster, Shooting Quasar Dragon. At the end of the series, he becomes a scientist and remains in New Domino City to look after the place everyone will return to when they fulfill their dreams.
- Jack Atlas (ジャック・アトラス Jakku Atorasu ) Voiced by: Takanori Hoshino (Japanese), Ted Lewis (English)
- Jack is known as the "Master of Faster" (King of Riding Duels in the Japanese version), and was once Yusei's best friend. However, they became bitter rivals after Jack stole Yusei's Stardust Dragon and Duel Runner and left for New Domino City. As a former resident of Satellite, he must hide his past from the rest of society. Jack is defeated by Yusei in the championship round of the Fortune Cup. He starts off as very arrogant and cruel, but his conscience is revived thanks to Carly Carmine, who heals his wounded heart and teaches him to let "the real Jack Atlas" live, and become a good person. His signature card is also a Synchro monster, Red Dragon Archfiend (Red Demon's Dragon in the Japanese version) which, when granted the power of the Signers, can be upgraded to Majestic Red Dragon. He later achieves Burning Soul, an ability which can summon out Red Nova Dragon. He plays a "Power" Deck, focusing on quickly summoning powerful monster to obliterate his opponent's defenses. Jack is one of the five Signers, and carries the Crimson Dragon's Wings. Mina, Carly, and the waitress Stephanie are all attracted to Jack. Jack continues to compete in Duel Circuits around the world at the end of the series in hopes to become the top Turbo Duelist in the world.
- Akiza Izinski / Aki Izayoi (十六夜 アキ Izayoi Aki ) Voiced by: Ayumi Kinoshita (Japanese), Bella Hudson (English)
- Akiza is the main female protagonist, and in the first season, she doubles as an antagonist. Akiza appears as a cold and pathologically sadomasochistic girl with the power to bring the monsters and magic of Duel Monsters to life, a psychic power ability only used through anguish and cruelty. Because of her abilities, she is called the "Black Rose" ("Black Rose Witch" in Japanese). Previously, Akiza chose to distance herself from people, believing her power to be caused by the Dragon birthmark she possesses, but she became kinder after her second duel with Yusei, who she seems to hold romantic feelings for. She is the third Signer, who plays a deck based around Plant-Type Monsters, and she holds the "Black Rose Dragon". She, along with Leo, Luna, and their friends, attends the Duel Academy after the Dark Signers' defeat and later becomes a Turbo Duelist, acting as a reserve member of Team 5D's in the WRGP. At the end of the series, despite graduating the Duel Academy at the top of her class, Akiza leaves New Domino City to study and becomes a doctor. Before leaving, she meets Yusei one more time to tell him that she loves him now she as Yusei's love interest, but she changes her mind, not know he feels the same.
- Crow Hogan (クロウ・ホーガン Kurō Hōgan ) Voiced by: Shintaro Asanuma (Japanese), Pete Capella (Season 2 & 3) Tom Wayland (Season 4) (English)
- Crow is one of Yusei's best friends and a thief. His parents died when he was little, and he was alone until Duel Monsters gave him friends and taught him how to read. He passes his knowledge on to a group of children he looks after, and he steals to provide for them. He later becomes a member of Team Satisfaction (a.k.a. The Enforcers) with Yusei, Jack, and Kalin, but he quits due to Kalin taking the fun out of dueling. His custom Duel Runner, Blackbird, has a built-in Flying Formation used to cross large gaps and can also fire hooks to change direction. After facing Goodwin alongside Yusei and Jack, Crow inherits Yusei's Tail Birthmark, becoming a Signer. He uses a Blackwing deck that can quickly summon monsters (a.k.a. "swarming") and use their abilities to win a duel, and his main Synchro Monsters are Blackwing Armed Wing, Blackwing - Silverwind the Ascendant, and Blackwing Armor Master. He later obtains his own Signer Dragon, Black-Winged Dragon. At the end of the series, he becomes part of the police force in Neo Domino City. He then leaves Neo Domino City to participate in Duel Circuits.
- Luna / Luca (龍可 Ruka ) Voiced by: Yuka Terasaki (Japanese), Cassandra Morris (Seasons 1 & 2), Eileen Stevens (Season 3 & 4) (English)
- Luna is the calm and collected twin sister of Leo. She plays a "Fairy/Spirit" deck, and gained the ability to speak with Duel Monster spirits after an incident that occurred eight years ago. At a young age, Luna fell into a coma and entered the Realm of Duel Monster Spirits, where she met Ancient Fairy Dragon and promised to protect her. Although she had since forgotten this experience, she comes to remember after the Fortune Cup, and later returns to the Duel Monster Realm to free Ancient Fairy Dragon from Devack's control. She dislikes dueling, as speaking to monster spirits tires her. She is also one of the five Signers. Her birthmark is one of the Crimson Dragon's Claws. Her dragon is Ancient Fairy Dragon, which she retrieved after defeating Devack. At the end of the series, Luna and Leo both leave Neo Domino City to be with their parents and attends a school in the future.
- Leo / Lua (龍亞 Rua ) Voiced by: Ai Horanai (Japanese), Cassandra Morris (Seasons 1 & 2), Eileen Stevens (Season 3 & 4) (English)
- Leo is the lively and blundering twin brother of Luna. He plays a "Morphtronic" deck ("D-Former" in Japan), with transforming monsters that have different abilities in attack and defense position, and his key card is Power Tool Dragon. He idolizes both Yusei and Jack and is always looking after his sister Luna, even if his overconfident attitude often lands him in trouble. Episode 152 hints that he may have feelings for his sister. During a life-or-death battle against Aporia, Leo's desire to protect Luna makes him the sixth and final Signer, with the Mark of the Crimson Dragon's Heart. He also comes into possession of the true form of Power Tool Dragon, Life Stream Dragon, which is also a Synchro Tuner monster which Yusei can use to summon out his strongest monster, Shooting Quasar Dragon. Leo's original English dub name was going to be Lua, but it was changed to Leo by 4Kids. At the end of the series, Leo and Luna both leave Neo Domino City to be with their parents. He also begins his career as a Turbo Duelist and starts to participate in Duel Circuits.
- Tetsu Trudge /Tetsu Ushio (牛尾 哲 Ushio Tetsu ) Voiced by: Kouji Ochiai (Japanese), Dan Green (English)
- Trudge is a Security Officer who observes the residents of Satellite. He initially duels using a "Guard" deck, but after his first clash with Yusei, he upgrades to a specially-designed "Pursuit" deck, with uses Goyo Guardian as its main Synchro of choice. He is violent, but also takes great pride in being a duelist, and for this Yusei respects him. After losing to Yusei, Trudge vows to defeat and arrest him, no matter how long it takes. After the first confrontation between Yusei and the Dark Signers, Trudge falls under their control, becoming a Dark Signer himself. He challenges Jack to a duel while Jack is still recovering from his injuries from the Fortune Cup finals match against Yusei. Trudge uses a Worm-based deck that focuses on Deck Destruction. Just like the other brainwashed Dark Signers, Trudge returns to normal after being defeated by Jack. He later reappears to help Mina spy on Jack and brings the signers to Martha's place where he develops a deeper respect for the people of Satellite. He is also shown to have a crush on Mina, and is incredibly jealous of Jack. As time goes on, Trudge becomes less hateful and shows more concern for his allies. Following the Dark Signer incident, he becomes Mina's assistant in an Investigation unit. He is also an examiner who tests those looking to acquire a license for Turbo Duels. It has been revealed that he is the same Tetsu that picked on Yugi at Domino High.
- In the dubbed version, Trudge has a rivalry with Yusei going for some time. The pilot dub shown at Comic-Con referred to him by his Japanese name, Ushio, rather than Trudge.
- Mina Simington / Mikage Sagiri (狭霧 深影 Sagiri Mikage ) Voiced by: Aiko Souhashi (Japanese), Evelyn Lanto (English)
- Mina is Rex Goodwin's secretary who was sent to watch over Jack Atlas while he was the King of Duelists. She is often very concerned over Jack and tries her best to be useful, despite Jack's cold attitude towards her. She is the only one who knows that Jack's feelings for Carly are his true motivation for fighting the Dark Signers. She has shown to have feelings for Jack (though he doesn't seem to reciprocate) and envies Carly for the attention he gives her. Following the Dark Signers incident, she becomes a chief in the Special Security Investigation with Trudge as her assistant.
- Lazar / Yeager (イェーガー Yēgā ) Voiced by: Tetsuya Yanagihara (Japanese), Marc Thompson (English)
- Lazar is Goodwin's assistant and Director of the Neo Domino Security Division. He comes from a family of clowns and enjoys eating cup ramen. In the third season, he pledges allegiance to the Three Emperors of Yliaster, but later goes into hiding with his wife and son when he learns more about their plans. While generally composed, he gets rather jittery under pressure. He uses a 'Jester Deck', which focuses on sealing Synchro monsters. After his hideout is discovered by Team 5D's, he decides to cooperate with them. After Yliaster is defeated, Lazar becomes the first elected Mayor of New Domino City when a civilian government is established in the city, replacing the Public Security Maintenance Bureau.
- Rally Dawson (ラリー・ドーソン Rarī Dōson ) Voiced by: Mika Itou (Japanese), Bella Hudson (English)
- Rally is a young boy who idolizes his friend Yusei. He steals a chip to assist Yusei in his duel against Jack. In return, Yusei helps him out when Rally is targeted by Security because of the marker on his cheek. While Rally's main deck is never seen, his specialty is 'One Shot' monsters. Rally gave one of his monsters, Turbo Booster, to Yusei for good luck. During Yusei's duel with Roman, Roman uses Rally as a human shield. Rally uses One Shot Cannon to destroy the Earthbound Immortal Uru, thereby sacrificing himself to save Yusei. Rally returns when Yusei defeats Roman.
- Martha (マーサ Māsa ) Voiced by: Kimiko Saitō (Japanese), Veronica Taylor (English)
- Martha is a woman who lives in Satellite and works as an assistant for Dr. Schmitt. She was a foster parent for Yusei. Jack and Crow while they were growing up in Satellite. In Episode 46, she falls into a geoglyph when trying to save the Satellite boy Taka. Her soul is then sacrificed to Roman's Earthbound Immortal, Uru. She returns when Yusei defeats Roman, and is seen to be continuing her work as a foster mother for many of the orphaned children of Satellite.
- Bolt Tanner / Jin Himuro (氷室 仁 Himuro Jin ) Voiced by: Taiten Kusunoki (Japanese), Wayne Grayson (English)
- Tanner is a former Turbo Duel champion. At the Detention Center, he starts as a ruthless bully, but becomes an ally of Yusei after being defeated in a duel. During his time at the cell, he was beaten by Armstrong in an attempt to anger Yusei. He is later freed by Blister and helps Yusei during the Fortune Cup. After becoming Yusei's ally, he is given information about the Signers. He and Yanagi then move to Leo and Luna's house. He plays an "Ushi Oni Beatdown" deck. His Ace Monster is Great Ushi Oni, which he gives to Yusei in order to make contact with Blister.
- Tenzen Yanagi (矢薙 典膳 Yanagi Tenzen ) Voiced by: Bunmei Tobayama (Japanese), Marc Thompson (English)
- Yanagi is an eccentric old man and former traveler, who befriends Yusei after being detained in the New Domino City Detention Center. Despite his over-eagerness and erratic behavior, he knows several things concerning the Signers and the Five Dragons. He duels Tanner and is quickly defeated. When Yusei was transferred to another cell, Yanagi was beaten by Armstrong to make Yusei angry. He is freed by Blister and continues to cheer for Yusei during the Fortune Cup. After Yusei wins the Fortune Cup, he explains to Yusei, Leo, Luna and Tanner about the Crimson Dragon, telling them that it is only possible to call it out when all five Signers are together. This gives Yusei the clue that the last Signer appeared. Yanagi and Tanner then move to Leo and Luna's house. He plays a "Hidden Treasure" deck, based on legendary treasures from all over the world, which he takes great pride in, despite the fact the majority of the cards cause self-inflicted damage.
- Blister / Saiga (雑賀) Voiced by: Hidenobu Kiuchi (Japanese), Tom Wayland (English)
- Blister is old friend of Tanner and he was once a top Turbo Duel Champion until his partner, Aero (Yūji (ユージ) in the Japanese version), was injured in an accident. Aero sends Blister the burned Machina Sniper card, which was a symbol of their friendship, and Blister thinks that he will never forgive Aero. Yusei helps Blister regain his faith in his friends, and Blister helps Yusei prepare his Duel Runner for the Fortune Cup. He later sneaks into the Satellite to help Yusei's friends, and stays at Martha's house looking after the children. Following the defeat of the Dark Signers and Goodwin, Blister meets up with Yusei again when he, Jack and Crow hear about the story of Mr. Bashford.
- Greiger / Bommer (ボマー Bomā ) Voiced by: Keiji Hirai (Japanese), Sean Schemmel (English)
- Greiger is a physically well-built Duelist first seen in the Fortune Cup tournament, battling first against Leo (who was posing as Luna), then against Crow in a Turbo Duel, although he was trying to duel Yusei. He is from Central America, and he believes his village was used by Goodwin as the site of an "experiment" to summon the Crimson Dragon. The experiment completely destroyed the village, resulting in the disappearance of Greiger's younger brother and sister. Greiger is enraged to learn the truth prior to his match with Yusei, and he attempts to take revenge on Goodwin for his village's destruction.
- When Grieger loses, he reveals the truth to the audience before using his Duel Runner to rocket toward the box room to take out Goodwin. Yusei stops Greiger, who is soon arrested by Security for his attempt on Goodwin's life. Grieger is publicly labeled insane to discredit his word against Goodwin and sentenced to death. However, he is later set free by Devack and brought before Roman. Roman makes him a Dark Signer and gives him the whale birthmark to exract vengeance on their mutual enemies Goodwin and Yusei. While hunting them, Greiger ends up dueling Crow, and he learns that the Dark Signers caused his village's destruction, and its residents, including his brother and sister, are being used for his Earthbound Immortal's summoning. Crow defeats the Earthbound Immortal to free Greiger's people. Defeated, Greiger tells Yusei to beat the Dark Signers before he disappears. Greiger later returns after Goodwin's defeat.
- Greiger's deck is fairly solid, focusing on his three "Reactor" monsters, who can inflict damage the first time their opponent ummons a monster, or activate a Spell or Trap card each turn. His Ace Monsters are his "Flying Fortress SKY FIRE", which is a combination of his three Reactor monsters, and his Synchro Monster "Dark Strike Fighter". While a Dark Signer, Greiger brandishes the Earthbound Immortal Chacu Challua, which can inflict damage in defense mode with half of its defense points and prevent its opponents from attacking. He also controls a Dark Synchro monster, Dark Fleet Top, which special summons Flying Fortress SKY FIRE from his graveyard each turn.
- Carly Carmine / Carly Nagisa (カーリー渚 Kārī Nagisa ) Voiced by: Li-Mei Chiang (Dark Signer-WRGP pre-Final arc) Aki Kanada (WRGP Final arc ongoing) (Japanese), Veronica Taylor (English)
- Carly is a reporter who came from the country to seek out her dreams (in the English dub, she is a blogger working as an intern who hopes to become a true reporter). She tends to get pushed around by others as she attempts to obtain a big scoop and is generally called "Stutter Stammer Carly" due to her nervousness. She uses a "Fortune Fairy" Deck to predict her fortune and get tips for the day. Despite her anxiety, she is a truly good person and gets her happiness from seeing others try hard.
- She safeguards Jack for a short while and garners some affection for him, but he leaves her behind to avoid getting her involved with the Signer battles. However, she infiltrates the Arcadia Movement and ends up being killed after plummeting through a window as a result of Sayer's Psychic Monsters during their duel (In the dub, her fall was prevented by the Dark Signers). She is revived as a Dark Signer herself, with an alternate vengeful personality. She brandishes a birthmark of the Hummingbird, a "Fortune Lady" deck with monsters that grow gradually stronger with each turn, and the Earthbound Immortal Aslla Piscu, which destroys all her opponents' monsters and inflicts damage accordingly should it ever leave the field. She is never shown with any Dark Synchro monsters. Despite the new persona, the true Carly still exists within her and desires to be with Jack. She ends up dueling Jack, and she shows him a vision in which they are together as Dark Signers, but Jack aims to reach her true desires. He confesses his love for her and is willing to sacrifice himself to make her understand. While he manages to reach her, the Earthbound Immortal takes over Carly and Jack is forced to fight her. Jack tries to play a trap card that would cause the duel to end in a tie, but Carly activates one of her trap cards before Jack, ending the duel with her as the loser. Carly tells Jack that she will always be cheering him on and that she loves him, before dying. She is revived by Goodwin as he fades away. She reappears in the third season, occasionally helping Jack out. While her memories of her time as a Dark Signer have disappeared, her feelings for Jack have not.
- Ancient Fairy Dragon (エンシェント・フェアリー・ドラゴン Enshento Fearī Doragon ) Voiced by: Mika Doi (Japanese), Veronica Taylor (English)
- Ancient Fairy Dragon is one of the five legendary dragons. During the time of the Zero Reverse incident, when Professor Fudo reclaimed the Dragon cards from Roman, Ancient Fairy was left behind and went into the possession of Devack. When Luna first visited the Spirit Realm, she was asked by Ancient Fairy Dragon to protect the monsters there. Later on, she becomes imprisoned in a mountain by a seal, but is able to contact Luna telepathically. With the help of Regulus, Torunka and Leo, Luna is able to rescue Ancient Fairy Dragon and defeat Devak. As a Synchro Monster, Ancient Fairy Dragon is able to destroy an opponent's Field Magic Card and recover life points. This is a valuable skill, because Earthbound Immortals are reliant on Field Magic cards.
- Torunka (トルンカ) Voiced by: Aki Kanada (Child) Hiroshi Naka (Adult) (Japanese), Mike Sinterniklaas(Child) Sean Schemmel (Adult) (English)
- Torunka is a Dark Sage whom Luna encounters when she arrives in the Minus World. Torunka helps her search for Regulus. His age is reverted to that of a child due to effects of the Minus Curse, and he forgets all his spells. He returns to his normal age when Zeman the Ape King is defeated.
- Regulus (レグルス Regurusu ) Voiced by: Rintarō Nishi (Japanese), Dan Green (English)
- Regulus is a white lion who serves the Ancient Fairy Dragon. He is reluctant at first, because he is infected by a Minus Staff. When Luna frees him from the curse and he notices she is a Signer, he decides to help her free Ancient Fairy Dragon from her seal. When Devack is defeated and Ancient Fairy Dragon freed, Regulus becomes a monster in Luna's deck that can deal damage when Ancient Fairy Dragon is removed from play.
- Sherry LeBlanc (シェリー・ルブラン Sherī Ruburan ) Voiced by: Erika Nakagawa (Japanese), Rachel Butera (English)
- Sherry is a Turbo Duelist from a rival team, who hopes to recruit Yusei to her team. She belonged to a rich family until her parents were killed by Yliaster when she was young, and she is now under the care of her butler, Elsworth. She enters the WRGP with Elsworth as her only teammate to learn about Yliaster and find out more about her parents' death. However, during a mission with Yusei and Bruno, she becomes separated from them in a wormhole and ends up in an alternate dimension where she meets ZONE. Sherry is shown the twisted future and becomes ZONE's ally after offering to rewrite her past so her parents didn't die. However, she is defeated by Akiza and Crow and shown the light. She uses a "Fleur Sacred Knight" deck, with her key monster being Chevalier de Fleur.
- Elsworth / Mizoguchi (ミゾグチ) Voiced by: Takashi Matsuyama (Japanese) |Voiced by: Eric Stuart (English)
- Elsworth is the butler and guardian of Sherry LeBlanc. He has been protecting her since her parents were killed. He is also Sherry's partner in the WRGP. He uses a "Bushido" deck revolving around swordsmen, and his ace monster is the synchro monster Driven Daredevil.
- Kaz / Soichi Kazama (風馬走一 Kazama Sōichi ) Voiced by: Kōichi Yokota (Japanese), Marc Thompson (English)
- Kaz is a Security Officer for the Administration Bureau. He is first introduced when he gets injured during an undercover mission because of Jack's interference. However, he later becomes friends with Jack and is generally willing to back him up when necessary.
- Kalin Kessler / Kyosuke Kiryu (鬼柳京介 Kiryū Kyōsuke ) Voiced by: Yūki Ono (Japanese), Marc Diraison (English)
- Kalin was once the leader of a group called The Enforcers("Team Satisfaction" in the original dub.)with Yusei, Jack and Crow. The group would go around battling rival duel gangs (In the English dub, The Enforcers defeat Satellite gangs in order to make Satellite a safer place; after defeating all the gangs, Kalin finds Security as the enemy). As time went on however, he became a bit more sadistic against his opponents and started going out of control and hurting his opponents as a result, which caused Crow, Jack and Yusei to leave. Kalin decides to provoke Security and attacks a Security officer. When Yusei tries to take the blame for it, his attempt fails and Kalin is arrested. Misunderstanding the situation and believing Yusei had sold him out, he later becomes a Dark Signer, branded with the Giant birthmark, in order to get his revenge on Yusei. Their first duel is canceled due to a malfunction on Yusei's Duel Runner, but he loses his second duel with Yusei, when Yusei's feelings allows him to synchro summon Majestic Star Dragon. He forgives Yusei before disappearing. In the 4kids version he admits he was wrong to think that Yusei sold him out.
- He is revived after Goodwin's defeat, but still has memories of being a Dark Signer and the crimes he committed. He goes to a place called Crash Town looking for a way to die, and ends up dueling Yusei again. They are soon both captured and taken to work in a mine, though Yusei manages to free him . While assisting two siblings, West and Nico, in rescuing their father, Kalin regains his will to live.
- He uses an "Infernity" Deck that specializes in effects when the player has 0 cards in his hand. His Dark Signer deck additionally has two key monsters: a Dark Synchro Monster called Hundred Eyes Dragon, which can gain the effects of the monsters in his graveyard, and the Earthbound Immortal Ccapac Apu, which inflicts additional damage for every monster it destroys. His Dark Signer birthmark is based on the giant Nazca line. In Crash Town, it is revealed that he has his own Ace, the Synchro Monster Infernity Doom Dragon.
Dark Signers are the antagonists of the second arc of the show, who fight against the Crimson Dragon and the Signers. Dark Signers are born when someone who has died (usually someone wanting revenge on a Signer) is resurrected by an Earthbound Immortal (Earthbound God in the Japanese version), evil entities imprisoned in the Nazca Lines by the Crimson Dragon. Infused with dark powers and possessing dark cards, the Dark Signers are able to form a barrier around their opponents, initiating a Shadow Duel where attacks from monsters cause real damage. Sometimes, if the Dark Signer is showing weakness or resistance, the Earthbound Immortal itself can take over the Dark Signer's body. Dark Signers have special cards called Dark Tuner Monsters that can summon Dark Synchro Monsters with a negative level. They also have an Earthbound Immortal, represented by their birthmarks. When summoned, these monsters sacrifice the souls of anyone caught within the Dark Signer's geoglyph (with the exception of the duelists, Signers, and anyone protected by a barrier emitted by a Signer's birthmark). Their common attribute is the ability to attack directly and not be chosen as a target, although some circumstances allow them to attack monsters and be attacked themselves. In the anime, they are unaffected by Spell and Trap cards.
There are also Dark Signer-like figures (called Shadow Drones in the dub) who are recruited and controlled by Roman's spiders. They only have access to Dark Tuner and Dark Synchro Monsters. When these Shadow Drones are defeated, their Mark of the Shadows and Deck disappear, and they lose their memories of being possessed. According to Goodwin, a true Dark Signer cannot be returned to normal, because they have already died. In addition, their duels end with the losing duelist being killed (in the dub, the loser is sent to the Netherworld). When a true Dark Signer is defeated, all the souls that were used for summoning their Earthbound Immortal are freed (this also seems to apply to non-Dark Signers who were defeated in Shadow Duels). After Goodwin and the King of the Netherworld are defeated, Goodwin and Roman pass on to the afterlife while Carly, Misty, Devack and Greiger are revived with no memory of their time as Dark Signers. Kalin is later shown to still remember his time as a Dark Signer. It is speculated that he kept his memories because, unlike the others, he willingly became a Dark Signer.
- Rex Goodwin (レクス・ゴドウィン Rekusu Godowin ) Voiced by: Shinya Kote (Japanese), Pete Zarustica (English)
- Rex Goodwin is the leader of the Yliaster cell working in New Domino City and the Director of Sector Security. He, alongside his brother Roman, was an assistant to Professor Fudo during the Zero Reverse accident. With his elitism, he transformed the city into a hierarchical society. He shows interest in the Signers, and he explains their significance to Jack prior to holding the Fortune Cup to gather the remaining Signers and awaken their powers. Rex is shown to be aggressive if necessary, but he usually has a calm demeanor. A legendary D-Wheeler, Goodwin lost his left arm around the time he didn't finish Daedalus Bridge (the only means for the Satellite to be connected with the city) and had it replaced with a cybernetic one which doubles as his duel disk. He additionally possesses his brother's severed arm with the head part of the Mark of the Dragon. In the dub he claims to be the fifth signer, but it is not actually so. But after the deaths of the Dark Signers, Rex reveals himself to have become one of them during a duel with Roman, having the condor birthmark on his back and control of the Earthbound Immortal Wiraqocha Rasca. Furthermore, he integrates his brother's arm onto himself to gain the power of a Signer as part of his plan to use both the Earthbound Immortals and the Crimson Dragon to recreate the world in his image. He is defeated by the joint efforts of Yusei, Jack and Crow, and passes onto the afterlife with Roman.
- Roman Goodwin / Rudger Goodwin (ルドガー・ゴドウィン Rudogā Godowin ) Voiced by: Taketora (Japanese), Marc Thompson (English)
- Roman is the leader of the Dark Signers. He possesses a birthmark resembling the Spider Nazca line and can use it send out spiders that can possess civilians, turning them into Dark Signers, and giving them Shadow powers and Dark Tuner and Synchro Monsters. The spiders can also be used as a means of surveillance, reporting all they has found once they return to their owner. Roman reveals himself to be Rex Goodwin's big brother and an assistant to Professor Fudo (Yusei's Father), until he met a mysterious man from Yliaster. The man told him to look into Ener-D's light and learn about the Earthbound Immortals' battle against the Crimson Dragon. Though revealed to be the Fifth Signer, Roman betrays Professor Fudo and causes the Zero Reverse incident after ripping his own arm off and giving it to Rex, telling him to unite the Signers. The resulting explosion transforms Roman into a Dark Signer.
- Like Rex, Roman has a bionic arm, which he uses to trigger explosives. He is defeated by Yusei, but before he dies, he triggers an explosion that sends Yusei down into the pool Ener-D. His deck focuses around Spider type monsters, and specializes in changing an opponent's monster into defense mode to obtain counters for summoning his Earthbound Immortal Uru. Uru can control an opponent's monster by sacrificing one of his own. Roman is later defeated by Yusei, but he sets off an explosive in his mechanical arm before crumbling to dust, so that Yusei would fall into the gate to the Netherworld. His spirit remains in the world until Goodwin is defeated, at which point Roman joins his brother in the afterlife.
- Misty Tredwell / Misty Lola (ミスティ・ローラ Misuti Rōra ) Voiced by: Junko Minagawa (Japanese), Rebecca Soler (English)
- Misty is a famous model who can read someone based on facial appearance. When her younger brother, Toby, is allegedly killed by Akiza's powers (disappeared in the English dub), Misty's depression causes her to drive off a cliff, which results in her resurrection as a Dark Signer with the lizard birthmark and the Earthbound Immortal Ccarayhua. Ccarayhua destroys all cards in play on both sides of the field when it is destroyed.
- Misty seeks out Akiza, and duels her with the intent of gaining revenge. Their duel, however, is postponed due to the aftershock of Carly's duel with Sayer, so Misty waits for Akiza at the Lizard control unit. She duels Akiza again in the Hall of Mirrors of an old carnival site, while showing Akiza events from the past to lower her spirit. However, Misty eventually learns that Sayer was the one who killed Toby, and after using Ccarayhua to take revenge on Sayer, she is defeated by Akiza, who stops the Earthbound Immortal inside of Misty. Misty is revived by Goodwin as he fades away.
- She uses a "Reptilianne" Deck featuring cards to either seal her opponent's draw phase or remove all her opponent's monster attack power, and her ace monster is Bad End Dragon. Like Carly, she is never seen with any Dark Synchro monsters. She also appears to be able to use lizards as surveillance, much like Roman's spiders.
- Devack / Demak (ディマク Dimaku ) Voiced by: Kenji Nomura (Japanese), Scottie Ray (English)
- Devack is another Dark Signer who has Ancient Fairy Dragon in his possession. Devack hates the Signers although his reason for doing so is never explained. He possesses the birthmark of the monkey and the Earthbound Immortal Cusillu. During the chaos surrounding Carly and Misty's duels, he frees Greiger, who was being escorted by Security and recruits him for the Dark Signers. He duels Leo and Luna in the Spirit World, but is defeated and turns to dust when Luna reappears and reclaims Ancient Fairy Dragon. He is the first Dark Signer to be defeated, when he is beaten by Leo and Luna. After Goodwin's defeat, Devack is revived.
- Like his birthmark, his deck features Monkey monsters, including the Dark Synchro Monster Zeman the Ape King, which focuses around increasing the power of his monsters in play through the number of monsters in his graveyard. He is also able to use captured spirits from the Spirit Realm in order to summon his Earthbound Immortal Cusillu, who can avoid destruction and cut its opponent's life points in half if Devack sacrifices his other monsters in order to do so.
- Grady / Dick Pitt (ディック・ピット Dikko Pitto ) Voiced by: Yoshimasa Hosoya (Japanese), Wayne Grayson (English)
- Grady is a street duelist who is possessed by one of Roman's spiders and becomes a Shadow Drone. He challenges Yusei to a Shadow Duel, using an ice-themed deck and a Dark Synchro monster called Frozen Fitzgerald. When he is defeated by Yusei, he returns to normal and does not remember what just happened.
Originally led by Goodwin, Yliaster (イリアステル Iriasuteru ) is an organization of Star Guardians who are said to bring peace to the world and worship the Crimson Dragon. Their purpose is to steer the world to change the future, which was somehow changed by Dr Fudo's creation of Ener-D (Momentum in Japanese). In the third season, Yliaster members come from the future with the purpose of setting things right. They hope to accomplish this by harnessing energy from Turbo Duels during the WRGP to power the Ark Cradle, which will be used to destroy Ener-D and thus undo the calamity it caused.
- Z-ONE (ゾーン Zōn ) Voiced by: Hideo Ishikawa
- The leader of Yliaster, Z-ONE is a mysterious figure that Three Emperors of Yliaster revere. He is the one who give them life, and he also gave them the Machine Emperors. However, Z-ONE gave Yusei Shooting Star Dragon, and created Antinomy to make all possibilities equal for both sides. Along with Aporia, Paradox and Antinomy, Z-ONE was one of the four last remaining survivors of a future destroyed by a Meklord Emperor-Synchro Monster War and a global Ener-D explosion. When Aporia, Paradox and Antinomy died of old age, Z-ONE revived them as cyborgs in order to help him rewrite the future, which involves the destruction of New Domino City. As Z-ONE battles against Yusei, he is shown to have the face of an older Yusei. When the Synchro War began, Z-ONE performed an operation on himself to gain the appearance and abilities of Yusei, so he could help as many people as possible. Z-ONE fell into despair when he wasn't able to. Thus, he believes the only way to save the world is to destroy New Domino City in the past. However, after losing to Yusei and getting a change of heart, Z-ONE sacrifices himself to stop the Ark Cradle from destroying the city. Z-ONE uses a Time Lord Deck, made up of giant cards formed from stone tablets and handled with giant mechanical arms. These cards specialize in burn damage. He also has Trap cards that can be activated from his hand. His main cards are his ten Time Lord Monsters, along with his true ace monster, Sephylon, the Ultimate Time Lord. They can only stay on the field for one turn (not including Sephylon), but they are imbued with devastating effects. His ace monster, Sephylon, the Ultimate Time Lord, has the ability to gain attack points equal to the total of all Time Lords on his field, including itself.
- Aporia (アポリア Aporia )
- Voiced by: Masakazu Nemoto, Takayuki Sugō (old), Hitomi Yoshida (child) (Japanese), Jason Anthony Griffith (English)
- Aporia is a cyborg from the future. Z-ONE split him into his three incarnations, so that Aporia can alter the past for the better. The three incarnations, known as the Three Emperors of Yliaster, are also known as the three tragedies of Aporia's lifetime, because they are respresentative of intregral moments of his despair. During the end of the WRGP, the Three Emperors combine back into Aporia, who appears in the peak of his life. Aporia duels against Yusei and loses, with his body being damaged as a result. He is repaired by Z-ONE and duels Jack, Leo and Luna in order to protect the Ark Cradle. He is defeated by them, and they show him that hope is stronger than despair. As a result, Aporia becomes filled with hope and decides to face Z-ONE in a duel. Aporia loses and is destroyed as a result. His Turbo Deck is a composite of the Emperors' Meklord Emperor decks, which have the ability to absorb Synchro Monsters, along with the strongest Meklord Emperor, Meklord Astro Mekanikle. His Standing Deck focuses on effect damage, and features Meklord Armies, and his key monster, Meklord Astro Dragon Asterisk.
- Jakob / José (ホセ Hose ) Voiced by: Takayuki Sugō (Japanese), Matt Hoverman (English)
- Jakob is the defacto leader of the Three Emperors of Yliaster. He is the incarnation of Aporia's later years, and his despair of being one of the last four living humans in his time. His ace monster is Meklord Emperor Granel, which can use the power of the Synchro Monsters it absorbs.
- Lester / Lucciano (ルチアーノ Ruchiāno ) Voiced by: Hitomi Yoshida (Japanese), Tom Wayland (English)
- Lester is the incarnation of Aporia's preteen years, and his despair of becoming an orphan. Lester's ace monster is Meklord Emperor Skiel. He is the youngest in the group, with long red hair and a rather sadistic personality. He is particularly skillful at creating illusions. He transfers into Duel Academy in order to get close to Luna, and ends up dueling both her and Leo. After the duel, Lester wipes the memories of the Duel Academy students so they behave like he doesn't exist. He is also the first character in the series to use a Duel Board.
- Primo / Placido (プラシド Purashido ) Voiced by: Masakazu Nemoto (Japanese), Jason Anthony Griffith (English)
- Primo is the incarnation of Aporia's late teenage years, and his despair of losing his girlfriend. His ace monster is Meklord Emperor Wisel. He has dark-gray hair and the ability to control machines. He carries a sword that can be used to open portals, or can be used as a futuristic duel disk. He has Lazar steal a Duel Runner program from Yusei, and install it into a large number of Duel Bots. He eventually uses these Duel Bots to force Turbo Duelists to crash, in order to speed up a process that Yliaster was planning. Primo is eventually defeated by Yusei and is critically damaged, but Z-ONE repairs him.
- Antinomy (アンチノミー Anchinomī ) Voiced by: Tanaka Hiroki (Japanese), Jason Anthony Griffith (English)
- Antinomy, born Johnny (ジョニー Jonī ), is a technical genius. He was present the day Ener-D overloaded and he was saved by Z-ONE, who later converted Antinomy into a cyborg. He was tasked to protect Yusei and teach him Accel Synchro so Yusei's power can revive Ark Cradle, with some of his memory being erased in order to better earn Yusei's trust. He is first introduced only as Vizor (Dark Glass) in his adult form, who informs Yusei about Accel Synchro prior to crashing during a duel with Primo. He is found by Sector Security in his teenage form. Going by the name Bruno (ブルーノ Burūno )), he is sent to live with Yusei, where his abilities as a super mechanic are shown when he improves the gang's Duel Runners. Later, when he comes across a kitten that caused him to crash, he regains his memory as Vizor, and finishes teaching Yusei about Accel Synchro. When he accompanies Yusei to the Ark Cradle, he regains his full memory as Antinomy, and challengse Yusei to a Turbo duel. Antinomy loses the duel and is engulfed in the Ark Cradle's artificial sun. Complimenting his technique is his T.G.(Tech Genus) Deck, which is designed to frequently summon monsters. These monsters are used for multiple Synchro Summons in order to summon his Accel Synchro Monster, T.G. Blade Blaster. He is also able to perform a more advanced technique called Delta Accel Synchro (which uses three Synchro Monsters) to summon his ace monster, T.G. Halberd Cannon.
- Paradox (パラドックス Paradokkusu ) Voiced by: Atsushi Tamura (Japanese), Sean Schemmel (English)
- Paradox is a turbo duelist, who travels across space and time, and he is one of the last survivors, along with Z-ONE, Aporia and Antinomy. He appears in Yu-Gi-Oh! 3D: Bonds Beyond Time as the main antagonist, trying to destroy the history of Duel Monsters in order to save the future. However, he ends up causing more damage to the timeline than expected. He attempts this by stealing monsters across time, including Yusei's Stardust Dragon, and converting them into powerful Malefic monsters, so that he can kill the creator of Duel Monsters, Maximillion Pegasus. However, Yusei, along with Yugi Mutou and Jaden Yuki, defeat him in a three-on-one duel, thereby reversing all the damage Paradox caused to the timeline. Following his defeat, Paradox disappears into the recesses of time, never to be seen ever again, but not before he ponders all of the events he caused, and if his intervention was worthwhile. Paradox uses a Malefic deck made up of Malefic counterparts of monsters that he steals throughout time, including his own monster, Malefic Paradox Dragon, and his ace monster, Malefic Truth Dragon, which he can fuse with.
- Clark Smith (クラーク・スミス Kurāku Sumisu ) Voiced by: Manabu Sakamaki
- Clark is the director of the Ener-D Express Development Agency, the company that helped send the Three Emperors to New Domino City. He was placed in charge of a project called Infinity, which can create wormholes. He is responsible for the death of Sherry's parents, who reportedly knew too much about Yliaster. However, when he went against Yliaster's wishes to eliminate Yusei, Clark is erased from existence by the Three Emperors. Clark uses a geometric deck.
- Fake Jack Atlas (偽者ジャック・アトラス Nisemono Jakku Atorasu ) Voiced by: Takanori Hoshino (Japanese), Ted Lewis (English)
- Fake Jack Atlas is a robotic imposter that frames Jack for forcing people to crash during duels. He rides a Duel Runner similar to Jack's Wheel of Fortune and uses a deck identical to his, with three copies of Red Dragon Archfiend (that for some reason are purple, yellow and blue instead of red, but none of the characters seem to realize this fact). His personality and tactics, however, are more representative of Jack's prior to his defeat at the hands of Yusei, at the end of the Fortune Cup. He uses brute force to overpower his opponents. He is obliterated when Jack defeats him using Majestic Red Dragon. He is revealed to be a Duel Bot, like Ghost, when he is obliterated by the outcome of the duel between him and the real Jack.
- Guard Robot (ガードロボ Gādo Robo ) Voiced by: Suzune Okabe (Japanese), Dan Green (English)
- Guard Robot is a giant duel robot that uses an advanced program to predict its opponent's moves, and uses a Lock Down deck designed to seal off various methods of dueling.
- Ghost (ゴースト Gōsuto ) Voiced by: Kawanago Masahito (Japanese), Jason Anthony Griffith (English)
- Ghosts are Duel Bots, robots originally designed for testing Duel Runners for Sector Security, but which have since been reprogrammed by Primo to force other duelists to crash in Turbo Duels. While the first Ghost was defeated by Yusei, Primo steals a program created by Yusei and Bruno, and installs it into an army of Ghosts (collectively known as the Diablo) that he releases throughout the city.
- Sayer / Divine (ディヴァイン Divain ) Voiced by: Masaya Matsukaze (Japanese), Marc Thompson (English)
- A mysterious man who took Akiza under his wing, Sayer is the founder of a group of psychic duelists known as the Arcadia Movement that oppose Yliaster and conjectures that they are planning to use the Crimson Dragon for world domination. The movement is for uniting Psychic Duelists who have been rejected by the outside world, while Sayer is raising an army of psychic soldiers to get revenge on everyone who mistreated them. He is willing to experiment on children to unleash their full potential. Furthermore, because he has threatened to expose Goodwin, Sayer is able to perform his deeds without being investigated. He is later eliminated by the Dark Signers. Matching his powers, Sayer uses a Deck filled with Psychic Monsters, with his main Synchro Monster being the Thought Ruler Archfiend (Mental Sphere Demon in Japanese).
- Zeman the Ape King / Demonic Monkey King Zeman (猿魔王ゼーマン Enmaō Zēman ) Voiced by: Binbin Takaoka (Japanese), David Brimmer (English)
- Zeman is an evil monkey spirit who commands an army of monkey soldiers. He is one of Devack's Dark Synchro monsters, and he can prevent activation of Spell and Trap cards until after the Damage Phase. He and his army use special staffs that imprison Duel Monster Spirits in stone tablets for use as Minus-level monsters. The staffs are also able to reverse the nature of things (e.g. making leaves fall up into trees, making people hear the opposite of what others say). He is destroyed when Regulus neutralizes his negative energy.
- Lawton / Lotten (ロットン Rotten ) Voiced by: Masami Iwasaki (Japanese), David Wills (English)
- Lawton is Malcolm's younger brother and the top dog of the Malcolm family, which competes for ownership of a mine in Crash Town. He rides a transformable Duel Runner. His key monster is Gatling Ogre, which has the ability to defeat an opponent before he even takes his turn (by inflicting 4000 LP of damage, even on the first turn of a Duel). He conspires with Barbara to overthrow Malcolm and take over Crash Town.
- Familiar of the Crimson Devil (紅蓮の悪魔のしもべ Guren no Akuma no Shimobe ) Voiced by: Yūki Fujiwara (Japanese)
- The Familiar of the Crimson Devil is the fiery servant of Scar-Red Nova, a powerful Earthbound Immortal also known as the Crimson Devil. Not even the Dark Signers could control the Crimson Devil. He tempts Jack into dueling him for a chance to gain power. The true motive is a ritual to revive the Crimson Devil. However, he is defeated when Jack gains a Burning Soul, and absorbs Scar-Red Nova's power to form Red Nova Dragon. The Familiar uses large stone slabs in place of cards, and his 'deck' focuses on destroying his own monsters to deal effect damage. After his defeat to Jack Atlas, the statue of Scar-Red Nova falls over, crushing and killing the Familiar
The Fortune Cup is a tournament organized by Rex Goodwin with the purpose of awakening the powers of the Signers. The winner will be able to challenge Jack Atlas for the title of King. Along with Yusei, Akiza and Leo (disguised as Luna), there are other duelists whose jobs are to put pressure on their opponents in order to awaken their abilities (the exception is Hunter Pace, who replaced one of the combatants in order to beat Yusei).
- Hunter Pace / Mukuro Enjo (炎城 ムクロ Enjō Mukuro ) Voiced by: Naoki Yanagi (Japanese), Marc Thompson (English)
- Hunter is seen in the first episode trying to win Jack's title and losing. In the dub he is the former champion trying to reclaim the title he lost to Jack some time before the series began; in the original version, he is simply a challenger, with no indication that he ever was the champion or had previously dueled Jack. In the eighth episode, he returns with a new deck to duel Jack, but loses again. He returns again to participate in the Fortune Cup by forcibly replacing the cloaked duelist known as "The Reborn Reaper" Shira, and loses to Yusei. He plays a Speed-based deck exclusively for Turbo Duels, focusing on gaining Speed Counters as quickly as possible, as well as effect damage. His Ace Monster is "Skull Flame".
- Gill Randsborg / Jill deLauncebeaux (ジル・ド・ランスボウ Jiru do Ransubō ) Voiced by: Yōji Ueda (Japanese), Eric Stuart (English)
- A duelist in the Fortune Cup tournament, Gill claims to be a descendant of the "knights of old", and he dresses as such. He is first to challenge Akiza, using his "Masked Knight"-series "LV" monsters. He barely survives the final blow from Akiza's "Black Rose Dragon". In the English version, he speaks mostly in Shakespearean English, but at the end of his duel with Akiza, he panics and uses normal English with a Wisconsin accent (as well as confessing that he made his costume especially for this duel).
- Professor Frank (フランク博士 Furanku Hakase ) Voiced by: Toshihiko Seki (Japanese), Tom Wayland (English)
- A creepy duelist (and admitted assassin) from China, Frank battles Luna in a special Consolation Duel for the losers of the first round of the Fortune Cup tournament. He seems nice and pleasant at first, but he is able to put Luna in a trance that transports her mind to the World of Duel Monster Spirits. He soon follows after to contaminate the world with his evil intentions, revealing himself to not be completely sane. His main monster is Ido, the Supreme Magical Force.
- Commander Koda / Kodo Kinomiya (来宮 虎堂 Kinomiya Kodō ) Voiced by: Tarusuke Shingaki (Japanese), Marc Diraison (English)
- Koda is a participant in the Fortune Cup who is often called "The Duel Profiler". His opponent in the first round, Professor Frank, threw the match so Frank could play Luna in the Consolation Duel. Koda's opponent in the semifinals was Akiza. He studied her past so he could throw her off by reminding her of how her psychic abilities hurt others. Nevertheless, she went on to defeat and severely damage him with her powers.
World Racing Grand Prix
The following are the competitors in the World Racing Grand Prix (World Riding Duel Grand Prix in Japanese version, WRGP for short) alongside Team 5D's and Yliaster's Team New World. Players battle in teams of up to three players, each with 4000 points per player. When one player's life points reach zero, the next player takes over until all players are eliminated.
- Team 5D's (チーム・5D's Chīmu Faibu Dīzu )
- The team consists of Yusei, Jack and Crow. Akiza is a reserve rider, and Leo, Luna, and Bruno serve as the pitcrew.
- Team New World (チーム・ニューワールド Chīmu Nyū Wārudo )
- The team consists of Jakob, Lester, and Primo. They used their ability to rewrite history so they could replace Sherry's team in the finals.
- Team Unicorn
- Team Unicorn (チーム・ユニコーン Chīmu Yunikōn ) is one of the leading teams competing in the WRGP. The team competes against Team 5D's in the beginning round of the preliminaries.
- Andre (アンドレ Andore ) Voiced by: Rion Kako (Japanese), Darren Dunstan (English)
- Andre is the team's forerunner, generally hailed as a card-playing genius. He uses two decks, a Fast Power deck and a Unicorn deck, both of which rely heavily on special effects. His key card is Thunder Unicorn.
- Breo (ブレオ Bureo ) Voiced by: Yūki Masuda (Japanese), Tom Wayland (English)
- Breo is the team's second duelist. He used to be a road duelist, but he joined Team Unicorn after being defeated by Jean. He uses a Bicorn deck that revolves around deck destruction.
- Jean (ジャン Jyan ) Voiced by: Ryō Naitō (Japanese), Wayne Grayson (English)
- Jean is the team's leader and third duelist, and he plans out the team's strategies. He was the one who recruited Andre and Breo after noticing their potential as a team. He uses a Tricorn deck.
- Team Catastrophe
- Team Catastrophe (チーム・カタストロフ Chīmu Katasutorofu ) is another team in the same preliminary group as 5D's and Unicorn. Using a Dark Card called Hook the Hidden Knight that was a gift from Primo, the team can cause the wheels on their opponents' Duel Runners to lock, making them crash. The members are Nicolas, Hermann and Hans. Although they manage to defeat Team Unicorn, they are beaten by Team 5D's when their second dark card - Doom's Ray - backfires.
- Team Ragnarok
- Team Ragnarok (チーム・ラグナロク Chīmu Ragunaroku ) is 5D's opponent in the semi-finals of the WRGP. Similar to the power of the Signers, the team possesses powerful Rune Eyes and three Aesir (Polar God) cards which provide protection from the effects of Yliaster's ability to alter history. These cards seem to resonate when battling against the Signer's dragons. The team's original intention was to beat Team New World and stop Yliaster's plans by themselves, but the team was defeated by 5D's. When Ark Cradle appears in the sky, the team aids the members of 5D's by using their powers to create a bridge to board the floating city.
- Halldor / Harald (ハラルド Hararudo )
- Voiced by: Masaya Onosaka (Japanese), Ted Lewis (English)
- Halldor is Team Ragnarok's leader, he is a former military soldier and he assembled people with the Rune Eyes. He possesses Odin, Father of the Aesir.
- Dragan (ドラガン Doragan )
- Voiced by: Kenichi Miya (Japanese), David Wills (English)
- Dragan possesses Thor, Lord of the Aesir. When his father was crucially injured during an investigation, Dragan was forced by Goodwin to throw a match against Jack, in order to pay for his father's treatment.
- Brodor / Brave (ブレイブ Bureibu )
- Voiced by: Ryōhei Kimura (Japanese), Marc Thompson (English)
- Brodor is a treasure hunter who possesses Loki, Lord of the Aesir.
- Team Taiyo
- Team Taiyo (チーム・太陽 Chīmu Taiyō ) is a team faced by Team 5D's in the quarter finals of the WRGP. The team members share a single Duel Runner that Yusei helps fix prior to the tournament, with which they face Team 5D's. They use a Stall deck which focuses on using Holding Hands Majin to increase their defense for enough turns so they can summon their key monster, the almost unbeatable Sleeping Giant Zushin.
- Taro Yamashita (山下太郎 Yamashita Tarō )
- Jinbei Tanigawa (谷川甚兵衛 Tanigawa Jinbei ) Voiced by: Suguru Inoue
- Yoshizo Hayashi (林吉蔵 Hayashi Yoshizō ) Voiced by: Kōsaka Atushi
- Lenny / Uryū (瓜生)Voiced by: Toshiyuki Kusuda (Japanese), Anthony Salerno (English)
- Lenny is an insect duelist and former Domino resident who harasses Tank. He later comes with his two henchmen, Larry and Lug, to try to take Yusei's Duel Runner by force. Yusei duels him and wins, and they part on friendly terms, with Lenny promising to win next time they duel. While he and his henchmen are unnamed in the English anime, TV listings and video games refer to him as Lenny.
- Mr. Armstrong / Takasu (鷹栖) Voiced by: Kouji Ishii (Japanese), David Wills (English)
- Mr. Armstrong is the warden of the Detention Center that Yusei is held at after his and Jack's duel in the Stadium. Armstrong uses his power as Warden to mistreat and abuse the detainees. After Yusei challenges and defeats Armstrong, winning the freedom of all detainees, Rex Goodwin, who watched the duel from above, fires Armstrong. Armstrong uses a "Chain Deck", focusing on his "Chain" monsters, as well as deck destruction and effect-damage tactics. His Ace Monster is the Synchro Monster "Iron Chain Dragon."
- Rudolph Heitmann (ルドルフ・ハイトマン Rudorufu Haitoman ), Voiced by: Yoshihisa Kawahara (Japanese), Sean Schemmel (English)
- Heitmann is the head instructor at Duel Academy. He dislikes students with low-level monsters. He seems to have inherited the Ancient Gear deck used by Vellian Crowler from Yu-Gi-Oh! GX, which has been updated through the years.
- Mr. Bashford / Tetsuzo Kuzuyama (屑山鉄蔵 Kuzuyama Tetsuzō ) Voiced by: Seizō Katō (Japanese), Wayne Grayson (English)
- Bashford is an old man from Satellite. After his wife leaves with his son, Adam/Goki, he becomes attached to his house, which features booby traps and an old-fashioned duel ring. After dueling Crow, he stays at Martha's. Bashford uses a Scrap-Iron deck, which contains a family of Junk monsters and several 'Scrap-Iron' trap cards.
- Don Pierro /Garome (ガロメ) Voiced by: Kōzō Shioya (Japanese), Marc Thompson (English)
- Pierro is a loan shark who swindles people out of their cards. Similar to his job, his deck consists of accountant-esque monsters and specialises on placing Loan Tokens on the opponent's field.
- Hayley / Michel (ミシェル Misheru ) and Claire (クレア Kurea ) Voiced by: Yūko Satō and Maya Yoshioka (Japanese), Tony Salerno and Lisa Ortiz (English)
- Hayley is the spirit of a young boy who lived in a house in a forest. Long ago, he and his sister Claire died of an illness, but his strong feelings to protect her kept both of them from passing on. Whenever he sees people who would potentially threaten her, he traps them in cards, which eventually leads to a legend about the forest. He and Claire are set free when he is defeated by Leo. Hayley uses a Ghost deck featuring Circle spell cards that require discards to play spells and monsters.
- Syd Barlow (シド Shido ) Voiced by: Gō Inoue Voiced by: Tom Wayland
- Syd is the leader of a gang of Duel Runner thieves. He uses a Wheel Deck.
- Bolton / Bolger (ボルガー Borugā ) Template:Anime voice Template:Anime voice
- Bolton is a friend of Crow and Robert Pearson, the original owner of Crow's Duel Runner and Deck. While he generally partnered with Pearson to protect the people of Satellite, Bolton was more interested in money. When Pearson refused to enter a businessship deal over his Duel Runner technology, he was killed by Bolton in a duel. Bolton later goes on to form a Duel Runner company, but makes under-the-table deals to keep it afloat. Needing the Black-Winged Dragon, he duels Crow for it, and his identity as Pearson's murderer is revealed. When Crow defeats him, he finally understands the pain he caused others, and he feels remorse. He uses a White Warrior deck designed to counter the Blackwing deck, and his key card is Crimson Mephist, a monster that can deal real damage in a duel.
- Lynden / Leo (レオー Reo ) Voiced by: Kazuyuki Okitsu (Japanese), Robbie Amell (English)
- Lynden is Zora's hyperactive son. Three years ago he accidentally broke Zora's clock, and left home to study clock repair. When he returns, Crow duels him so Lynden can learn to face his problems instead of running away from them. Matching his hobby, Lynden's deck is filled with clock-based monsters, including Clock Knights and a Time Wizard he got from his late father.
- Blitz / Nerve (ナーヴ Nāvu ) Voiced by: Kensuke Fujita (Japanese), Jamie McGonnigal (English)
- Blitz is a friend of Yusei and an inhabitant of Satellite. He has a strong sense of justice.
- Nervin / Blitz (ブリッツ Burittsu ) Voiced by: Takahiro Hirano (Japanese), Tom Wayland (English)
- Nervin is a friend of Yusei and an inhabitant of Satellite. He is prone to worrying.
- Tank / Taka (タカ) Voiced by: Tomohiro Oomura (Japanese), David Wills (English)
- Tank is a friend of Yusei and an inhabitant of Satellite. He has a jolly personality.
- Alex / Kōhei Aoyama (青山 光平 Aoyama Kōhei ) Voiced by: Shun Takagi (Japanese), Pete Zarustica (English)
- Alex is one of Yusei's cellmates at the detention center. He plans to escape. He gives up his chance for freedom in order to help Yusei win his duel against Mr. Armstrong.
- MC Voiced by: Bernard Ackah (Japanese), Sean Schemmel (English)
- MC is the Master of Ceremonies for the Turbo Duels. He provides commentary for both the Fortune Cup and the WRGP. His hair is maintained as a very large pompadour.
- Zigzix / Akutsu (阿久津) Voiced by: Kouichirou Yuzawa (Japanese), Sean Schemmel (English)
- Zigzix is the scientist who designed New Domino City's power plant. He studies the Signers' power under Goodwin's orders. In the Japanese version, he also has an obsession with "momentum" and enjoys talking about something that translates as things that "spin" in the English version.
- Dexter / Tenpei Hayano (早野 天兵 Hayano Tenpei ) Voiced by: Kokoro Kikuchi (Japanese), Leo Williams (English)
- A young duelist who is good friends with Leo, Dexter builds a dueling deck specifically designed to defeat the powerful duelist known as "The Black Rose", whom he and Leo had been planning to challenge for some time. When he first meets Yusei, Dexter is afraid of him because of his criminal mark, but he begins to admire Yusei once Leo tells him that Yusei had customized Leo and Luna's Duel Disks to fit them and was strong enough to enter the Fortune Cup.
- Sly (スライ Surai ) Voiced by: Sashi Kokuryu (Japanese)
- A shy boy who tends to be by himself, Sly often gets dragged around by Luna. He has an interest in Yusei's Stardust Dragon.
- Bob (ボブ Bobu ) Voiced by: Kyouko Chihiri (Japanese)
- Bob is a friend of Leo.
- Patty (パティ Pati ) Template:Anime voice
- Patty is a friend of Luna.
- Maria Bartlett (マリア) Template:Anime voice
- Maria is a teacher at Duel Academy.
- Angela Rains (アンジェラ Anjera ) Voiced by: Chieko Higuchi (Japanese), Annice Moriarty (English)
- Angela is a reporter who constantly gets in Carly's way and shows little respect for others, especially Carly. She will often write rather incriminating articles, even if she lacks good evidence. She also has no problem with using her body to get a scoop. This was seen when she crawled out from under Goodwin's desk thanked him for his information.
- Senator Izinski / Hideo Izayoi (十六夜 英雄 Izayoi Hideo ) Voiced by: Tetsu Inada (Japanese) , Marc Thompson (English)
- Hideo, simply known as the Senator in the English dub, is Akiza's father. While he loves his daughter very much, his work often gets in the way of spending time with her. During a duel with her when she was eight, a call from work awakened Akiza's Signer powers, and her father was hurt in the process. Her parents become more fearful of her, and Hideo blames himself for neglecting Akiza. When Akiza is hospitalized as a result of her duel with Misty, Hideo goes to visit her and wishes that someone would help her. Jack informs Akiza that the one person who can help her is Yusei, so Hideo begs Yusei for his help. With both Hideo and Yusei's assistance, Akiza manages to gain control of her powers and open her heart to people once again. Hideo's wife, Setsuko Izayoi (十六夜 節子 Izayoi Setsuko ) in the Japanese version, is voiced by Akira Nakagawa in the Japanese version and Priscilla Everett in the English version.
- Professor Fudo (不動博士 Fudō Hakase ) Voiced by: Wayne Grayson (English)
- Professor Fudo is Yusei's father. He worked for RRD on the Ener-D project with his assistants, Rex and Roman Goodwin. When he decided it would be too dangerous to continue, he tried to stop the project. However, Roman betrayed him and took over the project. The Zero Reverse incident occurred, and Professor Fudo was caught in the blast. Just prior, he entrusted three of the Dragon cards to Goodwin, who put them in circulation until they came to their owners, and made sure his son, Yusei, got to safety. While he is thought to have died, he appears to Yusei in a different dimension.
- Toby Tredwell / Tobi Lola (トビ・ローラ Tobi Rora )
- Misty's younger brother, who died a year before the series begins. He was one of the members of the Arcadia Movement with Psychic powers similar to Akiza's. However, he was killed by Sayer as a result of some harsh experiments on his psychic potential (in the English dub, he is supposedly taken by them). Sayer made it appear that it was Akiza's fault he died, so Misty wants revenge on Akiza. Sayer's incriminating information on Rex Goodwin helps avoid investigation into the matter. However, the truth is revealed by the efforts of Yusei.
- Zora (ゾラ) Template:Anime voice
- Zora is a friend of Martha's and the landlady of a house that Yusei, Jack and Crow stay at in the third season. She gets annoyed by the disturbances of the crew's engineering, but she seems to have a soft side for Yusei.
- Stephanie (ステファニー Sutefanī ) Voiced by: Lyrian (Japanese), Sarah Natochenny (English)
- Stephanie is a waitress at a café that Jack frequents. She has a crush on him and is often at odds with both Mina and Carly for his affections.
- Robert Pearson (ロバート・ピアスン Robāto Piasun ) Voiced by: Yūki Tai (Japanese), Wayne Grayson (English)
- Pearson is the original owner of the Blackbird Duel Runner and the Blackwing Deck three years prior to the story. He looked after the kids of Satellite and taught them to build Duel Monster equipment. When he refused to sell his Duel Runner tech to a company, Bolton dueled him with a monster that inflicted real damage, and the duel ended in Pearson's death. Before dying, he entrusted his deck, Duel Runner and the safety of the children to Crow.
- Barbara (バーバラ Bābara ) Voiced by: Akemi Okamura (Japanese), Lisa Ortiz (English)
- A woman residing in Crash Town, Barbara asks for Yusei's help in rescuing Kalin from the Radley Group. However, it turns out to be a ruse. Barbara is actually working with the Malcolm family in an attempt to trick Yusei into beating Kalin, because this would leave the Radley group helpless.
- Malcolm (マルコム Marucomu ) Voiced by: Yutaka Aoyama (Japanese), Wayne Grayson (English)
- Malcolm is the leader of the Malcolm family. His family is recognizable because of the red scarves they wear.
- Radley / Ramon (ラモン) Voiced by: Eiji Miyashita (Japanese), Sam Riegel (English)
- Radley is the leader of the Radley group, which generally wears black jackets. He recruits Kalin to his group to fend off the Malcolm group, but is soon defeated himself by Lawton and taken to the mines.
- West (ウェスト Wesuto ) and Nico (ニコ Niko ) Voiced by: Hiromi Igarashi (Japanese), Leo Williams (English) and Voiced by: Akiko Yajima (Japanese), Kether Donahue (English)
- West and Nico are siblings whose father was sent to work in the mines. They grow fond of Kalin and help him and Yusei escape from the mines, as well as rescue their father. While escaping with Kalin, their father falls down a mine shaft, and upon exiting the mine, they are kidnapped by Lawton. They are later rescued and are now cared for by Kalin.
Characters from other media
These are characters that appear in the manga version of Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's, as well as some videogames.
- Sect Ijuin (伊集院セクト Ijūin Sekuto )
- Sect is a Turbo duelist who looks up to Yusei like a big brother. He uses an Insect deck and has an ant-themed duel runner. In the Japanese version Sect has a habit of saying "Ari" (アリ, "ant"). Originally the creators planned to give him an ant-themed deck, but instead they gave him an insect-themed deck. The Duel Runner and the speech in the Japanese version are remnants of the ant theme.
- Skeleton Knight
- The Skeleton Knight is a skeletal horseman who duels on horseback. There is an urban legend that people who invoke his powers gain rare cards. However, he is really a dangerous duelist who can deal real damage.
- Surtr (スルト Suruto )
- Surtr is the antagonist of Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Duel Transer. He is named after Surtr from Norse mythology. He intends to take over the island of Ragnarok, where a duel tournament is taking place.