Lambda-class shuttles are spacecraft in the fictional Star Wars universe. The craft appear in Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back, Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi, and in the Star Wars Expanded Universe's book, comics, and games.
Origin and design
Joe Johnston, Ralph McQuarrie, and Nilo Rodis-Jamero borrowed elements from the skyhopper designed for Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope when refining the shuttle's appearance. Earlier versions were boxy, boat-like, or had TIE fighter-like components. Industrial Light and Magic's modelmakers made two shooting models, although CGI versions were used for the craft's Special Edition appearance in The Empire Strikes Back. The Theta-class shuttle in Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith was designed to appear like a predecessor to the Lambda class.
The Lambda-class shuttle initially appeared in Return of the Jedi. Both Darth Vader (David Prowse) and Emperor Palpatine (Ian McDiarmid) arrive aboard the second Death Star in Lambda-class shuttles. Later in the film, the stolen shuttle Tydirium transports a Rebel Alliance strike team led by Han Solo (Harrison Ford) to the forest moon of Endor, and Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) escapes from the exploding Death Star aboard another Lambda-class shuttle. Scenes of Vader traveling aboard a Lambda-class shuttle were created for the Special Edition release of The Empire Strikes Back.
Lambda-class shuttles also appear in numerous LucasArts titles, including the X-Wing and Rogue Squadron flight simulator series. In the X-Wing series, particularly Star Wars: TIE Fighter, Lambda-shuttles are frequently found in the hands of pirates and smugglers, rather than exclusive Imperial use. Missions often use them as starfighters instead of their role of transporting important personnel. They fare poorly due to their large size and lack of maneuverability. The Lambda shuttle was erroneously referred to as the "Tydirium Shuttle" and its rear turret was removed. TIE Fighter also featured a similar but more streamlined vehicle that did feature a rear turret, called the Delta-class JV-7 escort shuttle, however this has made no appearances outside of the games.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 "Imperial Lambda-class shuttle (Behind the Scenes)". Star Wars Databank. Lucasfilm. http://www.starwars.com/databank/starship/lambdashuttle/?id=bts. Retrieved 2007-09-08.
- ↑ "Imperial Theta-class shuttle (Behind the Scenes)". Star Wars Databank. Lucasfilm. http://www.starwars.com/databank/starship/thetaclassshuttle/?id=bts. Retrieved 2007-09-08.
- ↑ Firefly: The Official Companion. 1 (First ed. ed.). London: Titan Books. July 2006. pp. 29. ISBN 9781845763145.
- Imperial Lambda-class shuttle in the Star Wars Databank
- Tydirium on Wookieepedia: a Star Wars Wiki
- Lambda-class T-4a shuttle on Wookieepedia: a Star Wars Wiki
- Escort Shuttle